This course will prepare Certified Lymphedema Therapists who have completed a minimum 135-hour training program to take the CLT-LANA® Certification Examination. It will also benefit lymphedema therapists who are looking for a comprehensive review of lymphedema therapy. Most course topics (listed below) are presented through video lectures enhanced with engaging graphics and animations that make the material more understandable and entertaining. Each section of the course includes a downloadable pdf that provide a permanent reference as well as an alternate format from which to study. Also included is a multiple-choice quiz after most sections to check your comprehension. A comprehensive 120-question multiple-choice exam is included at the end of the module to help you prepare for the rigor of the LANA exam.
Note: Klose Training does not have access to the content of the CLT-LANA® exam but the practice exam included with this course covers the topics that we believe are important for all lymphedema therapists to know.
LANA® and CLT-LANA® are trademarks registered and owned by the Lymphology Association of North America, which was not involved with the production of, is not affiliated with, and does not endorse this preparation course in any way.
Educational Level: Intermediate/Advanced
Instructional Method: Online/Distance Learning
AOTA Classifications: Occupational Therapy Process- Evaluation, Intervention, and Outcomes
- Introduction and Terminology
- Anatomy of the Lymphatic System
- Physiology of the Lymphatic System
- A Physician’s Lecture on Lymphedema
- CDT for UE and LE Lymphedema, Obesity-Related Lymphedema, Pediatric Lymphedema, and Lipedema
- Assessment and Treatment of Vascular Disorders (Arterial and Venous)
- Head & Neck Lymphedema Management
- Manual Lymph Drainage (MLD)
- Compression Therapy
- The Role of Exercise in Lymphedema Management
- Compression Garments
- Practice Exam
- Case Studies
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify the components of the lymphatic system and its functions.
- Identify various medical conditions that can lead to the development of edema and lymphedema.
- Differentiate between a variety of peripheral edemas/lymphedema and identify necessary treatment strategies for each condition.
- Identify the application, medical indications, and contraindications for Manual Lymph Drainage (MLD) and Complete Decongestive Therapy (CDT).
- Identify various compression therapy application strategies for patients with lymphedema and chronic venous insufficiency.
- Attest to the importance of skin care and hygiene for patients with lymphedema.
- Attest to the importance of a proper exercise protocols for individuals at risk for and with lymphedema.
- Identify risk-reduction practices for patients at risk for lymphedema.
- Distinguish between a variety of measurement techniques used in the evaluation of edema/lymphedema and custom-made compression garments.
- Identify the most effective lymphedema treatment protocols based on current evidence
- Establish CDT treatment plans for individuals with primary and secondary lymphedema.
If you are using this course to prepare for the CLT-LANA® Certification exam, we strongly encourage you to first register for and schedule your exam date so you have a deadline. We will not be able to extend your access.
Kathleen Francis, MD
Jan Weiss, PT, DHS, CLT-LANA
Jodi Winicour, PT, CMT, CLT-LANA Instructor Bios & Faculty Page
NOTE: It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that the skills acquired in this class are within their scope of practice.
To receive a Certificate of Completion, the student must be a licensed health professional who meets the prerequisites listed above and the student must watch all video portions of the course, pass all multiple-choice quizzes and the final exam with a score of 80% or better, and return the required documents specified in the course. The Certificate will then be emailed to the student.