No prior lymphedema certification is required!
This lecture is part of our online Home Study Module for the Lymphedema Therapy Certification course – if you’re a graduate of our certification, this lecture will be review for you.
A Physician’s Lecture on Lymphedema provides an excellent overview of lymphedema and its pathophysiology, diagnosis, and differential diagnosis. This course is beneficial for all medical professionals who want to learn about this prevalent disease but are unable to commit to completing a lymphedema therapy certification course. The online Physician’s Lecture is also beneficial for medical doctors who need to know about lymphedema, but are not interested in studying the manual techniques required for treating lymphedema. Your host, Kathleen Francis, MD, explains lymphedema in the most understandable manner, making it easy and interesting to follow along. Please find all pertinent information for this four-part course below.
Note: This lecture includes a bonus lecture on Complete Decongestive Therapy (CDT) for Lymphedema by Guenter Klose, MLD/CDT Certified Instructor.
- Review of Anatomy, Physiology and Pathophysiology of the Lymphatic System
- Definition and Incidence of Lymphedema
- Difference between Edema and Lymphedema
- Usual Signs and Symptoms of Lymphedema
- Stages of Lymphedema
- Primary Lymphedema
- Secondary Lymphedema
- Diagnosis and Differential Diagnosis of Lymphedema
- Imaging Methods for Lymphedema
- Indications and Contraindications for the Treatment of Lymphedema
- Medications and Lymphedema
- Chronic Venous Insufficiency (CVI)
- Traumatic and Post-surgical Edema
- Infections (Cellulitis and Erysipelas)
- Complete Decongestive Therapy (CDT) for Lymphedema
- Understand the definition of lymphedema
- Understand the difference between primary and secondary lymphedema
- Understand the causes of primary and secondary lymphedema
- Be able to differentiate between a variety of peripheral edemas
- Understand the medical indications and contraindications for Manual Lymph Drainage (MLD) and Complete Decongestive Therapy (CDT)
- Be able to recognize the signs and symptoms of infections in patients with lymphedema
Clinical and Medical Director
St. Barnabas ACC Lymphedema Treatment Center
Medical Director for Klose Training
Included with this course is a bonus lecture on Complete Decongestive Therapy (CDT) presented by Guenter Klose, MLD/CDT Certified Instructor, CLT-LANA.
It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that the skills acquired in this class are within their scope of practice.
Note: Persons without a medical background who are interested in learning about lymphedema are also invited to register for this online course, but will not receive continuing education hours/credits.